“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life's realities.”
Dr. Seuss

Monday, January 5, 2009

Only In Cache Valley

Sometimes living in Cache Valley is like living in a whole new world! Every once in a while something happens that makes me turn around and say "what"? For example, when we first moved here our neighbors brought over goodies. They sat in our living room and said that they just leave their doors unlocked all of the time because every so often someone will come over and just leave a treat on their table. I think that they were a little confused because the very next day ADT came to install our security system! Only in Cache Valley would you still leave your doors open all day and all night in hopes that someone is going to leave you a surprise...I think that I have lived and visited too many places to trust that I am not going to get an unwelcome surprise! So today I had another Cache Valley moment. It is freezing up here, like 8 below freezing. This morning I went to return our redbox at the McDonald's. One machine was frozen and wouldn't work and the other just kept spitting out the movie. Another guy was trying to return his also. I said to him, "well, I think Lee's (the grocery store) has a redbox machine, good thing I have to go over there next." He says, "your headed that way? Would you mind taking this back for me." I looked at him amazed and puzzled as he reached out his hand with the movie in it to me. Was he really going to trust me, a complete stranger to return his movie for him. I took that movie as he jokingly said, "remember to return it or it will cost me 25 bucks!" I had to laugh as I got in the car and said to myself, only in Cache Valley. In Seattle or even in Salt Lake, I don't think that I would have done this even if it was a sweet 72 year old lady. I headed over to Lee's and returned the movie right away! I love living in Cache Valley! I love the innocence of it all. I love that Smithfield is small enough that they can hang little signs in between the streets, even to announce a local dance studios performances! I am not sure if I will ever leave the doors unlocked or hand a perfect stranger my movie to return, but I hope that some of the simpleness rubs off onto me!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Mayberry sounds nice but I'd be lockin' my doors too!

Jess and Brandon said...

That is so FUNNY!

Nicole said...

Sounds like Utah to me. Too funny! BTW I keep trying to get your blog listed on my blog and I can't get the connect right, so I will keep trying! I love catching up this way!

Amanda said...

Once I walked out of a store with something I didn't pay for. I saw a dude walking in and asked him if he would take it back in for me. I had too many kids buckled in the car already. I really thought he would do it. I hope he did. Anyway, that is cool.

I would have kept the movie though. Especially if it was one I really wanted.

Just kidding. In case you thought I was serious.

Retta Annie said...

I love, love, love the whole blog idea...it is so nice to take a break, like today at work, and be able to read things about my grandkids and kid that I may never know if not for your blog. Aurianna is such a blast...only she would think that we might be living in a snowglobe. Thanks for taking the time to do the blog and teach me so that I get to be a part of my family on a daily basis, even if I have to work...your the best!

Becky said...

Wow... I would have a hard time too! I am right there with you, just because others feel like it is ok for others to walk in and leave treats I would be the one on the street that would LOCK my doors! Bolted!!