“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life's realities.”
Dr. Seuss

Monday, June 8, 2009

Making summer fun, in an organized fashion...yes I said organized!!!

Ok, so Organized isn't something that usually comes out of my mouth, unless I am talking about how unorganized I am or how I want to be more organized...but I think that I am changing my ways!!!(Tad is jumping up and down in the background!!!)
We have been out of school for over a week now, and I have spent that time coming up with some ideas! Last summer was over before I knew it; this year I have made weekly craft lists and outing lists. We of course have the normal reward jar and chore charts! I am making the kids choose two chores from a list that they have to do everyday, they are actually getting them done daily, along with piano practice, math worksheets and reading time! Because there is a set time to do it all, they know exactly what they need to do! But I had to share my two favorite things that we are doing this summer! I called my friend Rory one day in a panic trying to find ideas to make summer lunch time a little easier. I don't know if this sounds familiar, mom makes mac n'cheese, all of the sudden no one wants mac n'cheese, they want everything else under the sun...I was not looking forward to this daily routine. Rory gave me not one but two great ideas!!! She does a lunch time summer menu! She lists veggies, fruits and then about five main courses that are always on hand. I added beverages to mine so that it would be more like a real menu! We deco pauged card board and made our own "real" menus! They are waiting next to their breakfast bowls in the morning so that they can decide what they want and then I am prepared! They have loved it! There haven't been any fights, no changing minds, and my kids are getting a balanced lunch everyday!!!




Rory's second great idea is for snacks! We go through snacks so quickly during the summer. She set a money value for each snack and then she gave her kids a set amount of money for the week. Once it was gone, it was gone. She uses change since her kids are a little older. I decided to use fake dollars that I bought for a dollar! The kids have also enjoyed this, and they are working on their math and money skills and don't even realize it!!!

Maybe by the end of the summer, I will still be sain, maybe a little more organized and my kids will be a little healthier and better at math...we will see!!!

My main courses for my menu are hot dogs, calzone(i found an easy, but good one that could be used for sandwiches), spaghetti with meat balls, chicken pot pies, chicken nuggets & mac'n cheese. My kids are anti sandwiches and things out of a can, but they do love frozen pot pies...picky, picky!

I am going to be posting a lot of crafts this summer, just in case anyone is looking for some. This month will be a lot of father's day crafts and 4th of July. If anyone else has any great crafts...let me know, I am always looking for new ideas!!! (I posted a lot today...I was a little behind, so keep scrolling down!!!)

5 comments:

Janalee Hubbard said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! I'm coming here for all my summer projects. Not that I have any, but you inspire me to maybe do some!

I've always done the menu thing for breakfast because I hate fixing three different things and I'm going to do it for lunch too during summer. It makes my grocery shopping so much easier. I love how fun you've made it for your kids with the actual menus and price list for snacks. You are incredible!

Oh, and I'm glad you had such a fun birthday! What a great husband you have to pull off that kind of surprise!

We'd love to meet at the park again, if this rain ever stops! Did your basement flood last week?

Amanda said...

Organized? You've almost inspired me.

Happy 30th!

Katies Korner said...

That menu idea is amazing! And so cute! So glad I have you ahead of me with the whole kid thing so that I can steal all of your wonderful ideas! Love you!

Becky said...

I am SO excited for all of the crafts!!!!! You are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!! I tell Dustin every day how creative you are and how I just hope I can think of these things when I am there.

I absolutely LOVE the menu idea!!!! ( ok so i am using a lot of !!! but I mean it!) I can't wait to see what is to come...

ps i hope that we can see each other soon, strawberry days? lets make it a date

MaMa eNCHaNTeD said...

What an awesome idea....food is always a great motivator!!!!